Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I think I'll just jump right in and not introduce myself. Besides, I can't think of anything credibly original at the moment, or even anything that's a clever spin on anything unoriginal.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a young tech-savvy sewist must be in want of a blog..."?
"Last night I dreamt I went to the fabric store again..."?
"It was the best of patterns, it was the worst of patterns..."?
"There was no possibility of taking the seams in that day..."?
"This is a story of what Woman's patience can endure, and what Singer's patience can achieve..."?


Well, those aren't bad exactly. All right, here I'll be chronicling my Narnian costume(s?) when and if I start them—I am a bit time crunched this semester. That's about it.

I want to attempt to start experimenting with fun foam this weekend and try for a brigandine like Prince Caspian's. (Yes, that's my page, thank you.) But I'm thinking I may be able to best replicate it if I make as if it were overlapping scale armor, rather than leather lined with overlapping plates. I plan on cutting out the right size pieces and punching holes through them, glueing them to a pleather or vinyl tunic also punched in the right places, with small silver brads applied through each hole. The other side, then, with the brad arms, might be just a bit painful, so I'll probably line it with the same cloth. And then, of course, the fun foam would need to be painted that dark grayish green color.

That's the plan.

For now, I'm just loving looking at pictures of this dress from Enchanted: isn't it adorable?

See more images of it at Maggie's Photobucket (Costumer's Guide). I wonder if this is possibly the only film dress where the movie clearly shows the dress pattern pieces, all laid out quite nicely. If you've seen Enchanted, you'll know what I'm talking about. We only got a quick glimpse at them, but I can't wait to see a full image of that shot!

I may post a breakdown of it this week, just for fun; though I'd love to make it for myself or more likely my younger sister, I don't have any time.

No comments: